Department of General Surgery
Head of Department: David Jirava, MD
Activities of the Department
The Department carries out a clinical program for general medical care of the hospital, including both outpatient and inpatient diagnostic and therapeutic activities (including ICU) in the field of general surgery, orthopedic surgery and urology. The Department of General Surgery treats both domestic and foreign patients, provides consulting services for the hospital and organizes undergraduate and postgraduate courses for physicians.
General surgery program:
- Abdominal surgery (gastrointestinal tract surgery), thoracic surgery, thyroid surgery, hernia surgery, varicose vein surgery, breast surgery, and other surgical procedures;
- Minimally invasive surgery in almost all fields of laparoscopic interventions (including hernia, appendectomy, cholecystectomy, diaphragmatic hernia, laparoscopic surgery of the large intestine);
- Oncological surgery in cooperation with the gastroenterology unit of the Department of Internal Medicine and the Department of Oncology, particularly oncological surgery of the gastrointestinal tract, lungs and breast;
- Extensive outpatient surgical activities for both on-duty and specialized consultancy units;
- Minor outpatient interventions;
- Ostomy consultancy – care of ostomy patients
- Robot-assisted interventions on rectum;
- Total replacement of hip and knee joints, including reimplantations, replacement of the shoulder, ankle and the first metatarsophalangeal joints (using the Swanson endoprosthesis);
- Osteotomy with the Stoffel method of metal-plate fixation in surgery of the foot - hallux rigidus; extended range of orthopedic and minimally invasive surgical interventions;
- Extensive outpatient orthopedic treatment;
- Arthroscopy (mainly of knee and shoulder joints)
- Open, endoscopic and robot-assisted urinary tract surgery;
- Urology surgical oncology;
- Kidney surgery;
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic, cystoscopic and ureterorenoscopic surgical procedures;
- Ultrasound-guided puncture of the retroperitoneum;
- Comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of erectile dysfunctions;
- A wide range of outpatient orthopedic treatments;
- Radiological procedures
Organizational units of the Department
- Diagnostic, preoperative and postoperative care in all specializations;
- Care of patients admitted to intensive and standard beds;
- Two other units in addition to surgery;
- Intensive care unit - A + B units
- On-duty outpatient surgery: It provides daily surgical care for acute patients, including wound dressing changes in patients from other departments of the hospital. It also provides acute surgical care.
- Surgical consulting clinic: Consulting clinic for surgical diseases focuses on abdominal and thoracic surgery, coloprocto-surgery, surgical oncology, diagnostics, postoperative monitoring, follow-up, assessment and ordering of planned operations;
- Thoracic surgical consulting clinic: In cooperation with the respiratory consulting clinic, it provides treatment, surgical procedures and follow-up of cancer treatment in patients with respiratory and thoracic diseases.
- Mammology consulting clinic: It provides examinations, comprehensive care, diagnostic services, preoperative evaluation and follow-up care to patients with breast disease, in close cooperation with the Department of Radiology, oncologists and pathologists;
- Orthopedic outpatient unit: It provides diagnosing, treatment and preoperative assessment of trauma patients with musculoskeletal diseases. It also provides consultancy services to other departments of the hospital.
- Urology outpatient unit: It provides care to urological patients, performs diagnostics, including ultrasound and outpatient treatment. The Department also provides preoperative assessment, postoperative monitoring, as well as comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of erectile dysfunction and a number of outpatient diagnostic and therapeutic procedures (cystoscopy, ureter probing also for other departments, etc.).
- Outpatient unit for minor surgical procedures: It performs minor outpatient surgical procedures under local anaesthesia at the request of general practitioners and hospital Department of Dermatology, and in indicated patients from the surgical consulting clinic and on-duty surgery.
- Ostomy unit (under separate management): It provides comprehensive care (theoretic, pre-admission, preoperative, postoperative and follow-up) and education to ostomy patients. Identification and management of ostomy complications, peristomal skin and aterotinal drainage. Management and drainage of all type of ostomies and complications, knowledge of all types of ostomy devices and their application.
tel.: +420 257 273 020